Battlefield 2042 was recently announced, and there's already a surfeit of information available for players to sink their teeth into, including plenty of reading material on the game's story, modes and future plans.
EA and DICE's new game will take place in a world on the edge of collapse. Nations are buckling under their own weight and millions of refugees are fleeing spiraling conflicts over food resources, land and power. These non-pats (non-patriated people) include soldiers who have taken up arms to fight for either the USA or Russian super powers, with the Specialists being the characters that players will be embodying for all the fun.
Check out the game's explosive reveal trailer right here to get caught up with Battlefield 2042's story:
So what about these new maps then eh? Well, luckily we were invited to a preview of Battlefield 2042Battlefield 2042 where we got the lowdown on the game before its reveal, including a quick look and description of each of the game's seven launch maps. Here's a brief introduction to each:
- Kaleidoscope is set in South Korea and utilises canals, towering skyscrapers and zip lines players can use to traverse between them at speed.
- Manifest is set in Singapore and has giant shipping containers that can be lifted and moved by cranes, changing the face of the battlefield. There's also ships that can be boarded and fought on.
- Orbital is set in French Guiana and houses the looming rocket you might have seen in the game's trailer. The launchpad is the battle zone, and the rocket can launch both successfully, and unsuccessfully depending on player actions.
- Discarded is set in India, where the middle of the map has a ship that houses a submarine.
- Renewal is set in Egypt, and is a map of two halves; one agricultural, and one sandy wasteland. A road intersects these two parts of the map with a solar park sitting in the dusty canyon side.
- Hourglass is set in Qatar, and has more than a few Spec Ops: The Line vibes. The city is engulfed in red sand, with skyscrapers, a sports stadium, rolling sand dunes and a freak sand storm that can tear through at any moment. Hourglass is also one of the biggest maps in the game.
- Breakaway is set in Antarctica, and is the biggest map in Battlefield 2042. There are exploding missile silos and multiple distinct areas including an outlook post, oil rig, port and research depot.
So there you have it. Every map coming to Battlefield 2042 at launch. We've also been told that among these will be the biggest ever maps in the entire game franchise, some even having their own dynamic weather to deal with, including sand storms and tornadoes. There's also the small matter of an eye-popping 128 player battles on the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and PC while PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gamers will have 64 player bouts on the menu. The game will release on all platforms on October 22nd 2021.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read